Saturday, December 27, 2008

Three Snow Caracteristics That Don't Belong Together

Yesterdays forecast was amazingly accurate with 15 cms measured on my skating rink. My inner skier just had to get off the well beaten path today. Regretfully my logical self followed the suggestion. The snow off piste was completely unskiable (by me anyways). Not only was it heavy but it was incredibly dense. The strange thing was that the snow has these two qualities while offering zero support to a skier. Upon skiing into the untouched snow my skis immediately dived to the bottom of the snow pack, I then exerted about 30 seconds of hard labor to free one but then when I put my weight on the free ski to work on getting the other out the once free ski sank to the bottom of the snowpack, and so on and so on. It did cross my mind that I would be stuck. I can't imagine how the Ski Patrol could perform a rescue in those conditions.

The run of the day was Rino's Run.

No comments: