Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Day 9-10 by Twilight

 I am getting the job done on my 30 day challenge but only just.  Both yesterday and today I started hiking at 7:30 PM.  But both days got in a worthwhile run.

Yesterday was the Nonstop Lead Instructor meeting in Fernie, we spent the day discussing the operational aspects of the Nonstop program.  My plan was to balance the indoor duration of my day with a hike at Fernie resort when we were done.

To my surprise the Fernie had put up warning signs about not hiking the Resort runs, quite a different attitude from Red Mountain.  Since I am in the business I think I made a good judgement call to not blow off the Fernie policy, although I disagree with it.

Plan B was another stop at the Kootenay Pass.  It was a late departure, I started snowshoeing at 7:30 PM, the sun had already set.  I gave myself 30 minutes to get as high as I could. 

The light was bad on the way down, the hike was hard, and the 1 cm breakable (not supportive) crust was a significant challenge, and it was an excellent experience.

Today I undertook another twilight hike up the T-Bar and about 1/3 the way up Back Trail on Red Mountain.  Much better conditions on Red, my hike was rewarded with silky smooth turns on 1-2 cm of corn snow on a firm base.

No comments: