Wednesday, November 20, 2013

First ski of the year in Kootenay Pass

The first time out in the year is always nice, good to reacquaint myself with my equipment.  And to remember how good it is to get out, especially in Kootenay Pass.

To get started at Kootenay Pass, you have to park your car right at the top of the Pass on somewhat of a major highway where space is limited.  I was changing my boots right next to  truckers who were adjusting chains and checking brakes, both people in the same place but about to experience something completly different.  Within three minutes the mayhem there is a world away.

I stopped here on my way to Banff for more CSIA Course Conductor training.  What a worthwhile break in the drive, I feel like I squeezed a bit extra out of life.  There is about a meter of snow for a base, conditions were definitely early season.  The snow in the photos looks great but it was quite heavy.  It took one hour to skin up, I had 8 great turns and then had to kind of straight-line through tress and the heavy snow.  Still it was great to be out there, I still feel the flow of those 8 turns this morning. 

No comments: