Tuesday, May 10, 2011

26/30 Grizzly Tracks



A bit of excitement for me today: on my hike up Mt. Kirkup I came across some grizzly bear tracks that must have been very recent. I assumed they were grizzly tracks due to the elevation I was at and because of the size of them. When I first saw them from about 20 meters away I assumed they were snowshoe tracks because of the size of them, and thought "cool someone else is up here". They must have been less than 10 hours old because they were still detailed and the snow was melting fast yesterday afternoon ( I was out quite early this morning). I confirmed that they were grizzly, not black bear, tracks from a tracking guide book that I have.

I had hiked up Mt. Kirkup for about 45 minutes when I came across them, I was right on the treeline. I took these photos, ripped the skins off my skis and got out of there. Thankfully, no sighting.

2 comments:

Happy Dog Ski Team said...

And Canadians give us a hard time over snakes, spiders & sharks !!!!

Canadian Ski Quest said...

I think I would still prefer to deal with the bear.