Thursday, November 8, 2012

Fischer Vacuum Boots

I had my new Fischer Vacuum boots fitted yesterday by Ian McAdams at Village Ski Hut in Nelson.  This is quite an innovation in ski boot technology.  Instead of the traditional fitting and molding of the boot liner, this technology molds the plastic shell of the boot to the skiers foot.  It is amazing to see the cuff of my boot, looking at it from the back the plastic of the cuff is bent to the shape of my lower leg.  The process is quick and very simple, or it might be Ian's 40 years of boot fitting experience that made it seem simple. 

Ian warmed the plastic shells up in an oven, inserted the liner which I stepped into, I then stepped onto the platform that you see in the photo.  He then fitted a vacuum bag over each boot, turned on the machine and chatted and sipped coffee with me for I guess about 10 minutes.  The vacuum process feels like one of those blood pressure cuffs that you put your arm into.

Looking forward to putting the boots to use soon.  Thanks Ian.

No comments: