Friday, September 18, 2009

Murray Dee Rest In Peace


My Friend Murray Dee passed away in a Bicycle-Truck accident last week. He was on the bike.
Murray was the first co worker I met in the Whistler Ski School in 1987. I was the typical nervous new guy from small BC ski resort, showing up for day one of work and training with the Whistler Ski School. I happened to get into the 4 person gondola with Murray and a couple others. Murray immediately put me at ease and made me feel welcome. I have had that exact feeling every time I have seen Murray since.
Murray was a career Ski Instructor. He was 49.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Murray & I were at Capilano College together in the early 80's. What many people may not have known is that Murray was dyslexic. We often worked together doing assignments (especially algebra). He faced his disability with great courage and I really enjoyed our working together. I spent time with him in his house in West Van, studying together, met his parents. We worked hard, had lots of fun together.

Every word you say here is true. He was a gentle soul and just a class act in every way.

In the mid 80's, I was at Grouse Mtn and Murray gave me some skiiing lessons.

Somehow we lost touch over the years. Today I decided to look him up, and learned that he has left us. Murray, rest-in-peace and may his wife & family find comfort & strength to face such a big loss.

Karim Makalai

Anonymous said...

I'm stunned.
I couldn't believe my eyes when I read this. I'm still in shock.

The signature neck scarf and toothy grin. Yes, that's the Murray I met in Niseko, Japan in March 2008. He was the funny guy with loud shirts. Indeed a career Ski Instructor, very passionate about his skiing and teaching. He inspired all in his class.

Mark, he spoke fondly about you when he found out I knew you. He will be sorely missed by all whom he has touched.

My belated deepest sympathy to his family and friends.
May Murray rest in peace.

Yoko.