Monday, May 18, 2009

Recovery

I am out of the cast, thank god. I felt it was overdue, but when it actually came off I felt very fragile, that it needed to be back on. I went straight to the Trail Aquatic Centre, where I had a 30 minute shower, no exaggeration, and then a swim. It was heaven! The pool closed a couple of days later; something about their filters being clogged up

Now that the cast has been off for about a week, I am used to it and am working on getting movement back into it. I do not recognize it as my leg, it seems to be just a stick that is coming out of my hip. The doctor expects a full recovery in a year, and that I should be able to do what I want to do (SKI) in six months (from March 9). I am challenging this time line and have been progressing faster than expected. My physio has put me in check, effectively communicating to me that there is a danger in pushing myself to hard. My doctor set a goal to be able to bend my leg to 60 degrees in 6 weeks. I got to 60 in one week, stretching pretty much continuously. I have now taken the focus off trying to improve movement am working on getting the swelling down and rebuilding muscle. My knee is huge and my leg in tiny.

2 comments:

Ron Cracknell said...

Hi Mark, Good to hear your back to using both legs free, not one in plaster.
The "Eltham Team" (Bob, Richard, Tim and me) are already talking of a change of plans for our 2010 trip, ie not Japan, but BC again. So you will probably hear from us after we get thruogh our Season 09 and we get Tim back on skis. He seems to have fully recovered.
Cheers from Mansfield. Say Hi to the family and the Ski Quest Team.

Unknown said...

welcome back.The cyber word is now a richer place.